Friday, January 14, 2011

Meet This Week's Poet!

MEET THIS WEEK’S POET!
Adrian Dayne aka SuperFirst

Our latest addition to our group of contributors, as well as our youngest one is our Poet this week we’d like you to meet, his name is Adrian Dayne aka SuperFirst on All Poetry, and he’s also the primary contributor of our latest blog section “Young Poets Corner”  he is a well-versed young man and does a wonderful job as a poet for one so young, he’s already won a Poem of the Week Contest here and he’s also become a group official for our group on All Poetry.  (he’s also the most willing to share himself with others)   

Adrian: Thank you for the interview. It was fun. Thanks for all the opportunities that you and Suzie have given me. It's really great now since I'm all injured and can't run or train for a few weeks.

Chiminese: Tell us a little about yourself.

Adrian: Well, I'm twelve years old. I live with my uncle who is like the most awesome guy in the world. My hair is long, down to my waist, and I'm not cutting it until I'm 18 and I can join the army like my dad. I've been through a lot but I do my best to live in love and stay positive. My girlfriend's name is Strawberry, which is the most awesome name ever for the most awesome girl ever.

Chiminese: What is it about poetry that makes you want to write?

Adrian: I don't really know. It's like freedom, challenge and expression all rolled into one. And, it's like you put a little bit of your soul into every line.

Chiminese: Can you remember your first poem?

Adrian: I don't know if this was my first or not, but the first one I can remember was called “Egg In A Nutshell”. I don't remember the words but it was based on something my brother said about not building up your defenses too much. The last line was actually his words "An egg in a nutshell can still get scrambled."

Chiminese: What style or styles of poetry do you write most or prefer to write?

Adrian: Honestly, I don't know much about different styles of poetry. I barely knew what a stanza was before I joined All Poetry. I just like to write. I don't know a lot of the forms and mechanics behind it yet.

Chiminese: Do you write more than poetry? What else do you do creatively?

Adrian: I try to write stories, but I don't really have the attention span for that. I also write songs sometimes. I know it's almost the same thing as poetry but it just feels different when you're keeping a melody in mind.

Chiminese: What poem, written by you, do you like the most?

Adrian: Well my most popular by far is "Too Young To Say I Love You." My favorites though are probably my weakest two, poetically speaking. The first one is called "Please, Oh Brother, Guide My Hand" and the second one is called "Pick Me Up See The Lights?" Those are about as personal and special to me as any poem could be.

Chiminese: Do you have any mentors?

Adrian: My uncle, my brother and my dad. My uncle is the wisest, most kind person I have ever met. He stopped at nothing to find me and make sure I had a home and a family. He taught me to carry the fire and I hope I can grow up to be half the man he is. 
     My brother still teaches me lessons and helps me through life even those he's been dead for almost a year. All I have to do is look at the way he lived his life for a guide on how I should live mine.
     I don't remember much about my dad. All I really have are pictures and a few little scenes in my head and the stories my uncle and other people tell me. I know he was a great man. I know that he loved me. He was in the army on 9/11 and he died trying to save people when the first tower fell. He wasn't ordered to help or anything. He saw it as his right and duty as a human being.

Chiminese: Who is your favorite poet or writer?

Adrian: Geraldine Stevens. She goes by gerrynan2 on All Poetry, but I just call her Nan. Her writing is so vivid and so pure that whenever I'm reading one of her poems it feels more like I'm living it rather than just reading it. I also like that she doesn't fit into any real forms. She writes in what she calls a "narrative style" and it just feels so classic and natural. Please, give her a read.
    (I tend to agree with this, so here’s a link to Geraldine’s Poetry for you.. http://allpoetry.com/poem/by/gerryman2 )

Chiminese: What is your favorite poem by the poet you chosen?

Adrian: I think my favorite is "Poet's Winter" but please check out more of her work. Poems like "Spartan!" and "The Dance Of Life" are amazing too!

Chiminese: What is your favorite type music?

Adrian: I like so many types of music, it's unreal. Here are some of my favorites.

Nickel Creek - Celtic-ish bluegrass style music with writing that really blows my mind.
Andrew WK - Simple, stupid and amazing. Piano metal with very inspiring lyrics.
Adiemus - A vocal project to show how united mankind can be. They do this by taking musical styles from all over the world and singing in a made up language that means nothing. It sounds like it would be a train wreck but seriously, look them up!
Busta Rhymes - I know I know I'm too young to listen to him, but he's just way to much fun. He's awesome.
I also really like to listen to my brother's music. His guitar playing always makes me feel good.


Chiminese: What inspires you?

Adrian: In poetry it's not really one thing, it's everything. We can get poetic inspiration from everything in life, the world around us, and in our memories.
In life, it's people who do great things, despite the consequences. People who will do the right thing and defend what they believe. I try to live this way the best I can.


Chiminese: Do you have a favorite book or author?

Adrian: I think my favorite book is "The Book Of Five Rings" by Miyamoto Musashi. It's a warrior's philosophy book written by the most famous duelist in all of feudal Japan after he had retired.

Chiminese: How about a favorite quote?

Adrian: How about a few?

"Accept no way as Way. Accept no limitation as Limitation." - Bruce Lee

"Be like water." - Bruce Lee

"Reject anything that does not stand the test when it is brought to the Anvil of Truth and hammered with nonviolence." - Gandhi

“If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.” - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.


Honestly, if you're not too familiar with the teachings of Dr. King, do yourself a favor and look him up. He was full of so much wisdom and love.

Chiminese:.Any other creative passions? 

Adrian: Well, I write my own music and I play guitar. I have real bad nerve damage so my left hand doesn't really work the way it should, but my brother showed me how to play through it and thanks to him, I'm getting pretty good. I try to sing sometimes, but that's kind of a bad idea.

I also run Parkour and free running. If you don't know what they are, look them up on YouTube. It's so freeing and so expressive in it's own ways. It's a real challenge and you've got to conquer yourself in order to do it.
 

2 comments:

  1. This interview was done by Chim's World of Literature I just proofed it and published it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Suzie you a great friend..and thanks to Adrian for being a great guy who agreed to being interview..most ppl shud know being interviewed isnt about fame or about trying to be the best..We as Poet In Training contributors are here to help the unpublished poets and to spread the word on how we work...

    Thanks again.
    Chim

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Members

Poets In Training

The newest resource on the internet for creative writers around the world, seeking to unify rather than divide by finding our similarities rather than our differences through prose. Join our group on All Poetry, follow us on twitter, join us on facebook