Monday, November 8, 2010

Our November poet of the week is our very own M.Suzanne Wyatt

The Review

I greet all of you blogger’s on this fine day at Poets In Training. As you all may know and have realised we are new but we aren’t new to the world of writing any style of poetry is concerned.
We will try to interview a poet/writer a week, so far we have only interviewed two very lovely ladies who was able to share with us there work.

First, I would like to introduce to all of you to our host M. Suzanne, we should have done this before we ever interviewed our previous two poets, I think this is a good way to start off, show- casing our very own talent. Both myself and M. Suzanne are aspiring poets and over the next two weeks , you will be able to learn more about each of us.

Questions

1. Tell us a little about yourself.

Well, I’m a 56 year-old grandmother of 3 beautiful grand-daughters, learning to live as a post-stroke victim.

2. What is it about poetry that makes you want to write?

I guess it’s an outlet for my emotions, it’s easy to write small bits and pieces of my feelings down on paper (also helps me keep my mind active) since I had a small stroke a couple of years ago, I noticed I was having trouble finding words when I was talking, etc. So one day, I sat down and started putting down words that described the word I wanted, then it just started to flow, one word turned into two, two turned into three, and so on.

3. Can you remember your first poem?

I don’t remember my very first poem I ever wrote, but I do remember my creative writing teacher in high school told me I had a natural talent with words, that I should pursue it, but life happened and it was placed on a back-burner so to speak, then I had the stroke three years ago and that brought me back to writing. My second poem I truly ever wrote was “Love is Just a Fleeting Thing” that came from a lost relationship, and watching my parents love of each other as my father battled cancer. I wanted a love like they had and I wasn’t going to settle for anything less.


4. What style or styles of poetry do you write most or prefer to write?

I suppose you could say I write mostly free verse style, but I have attempted haiku, acrostic and shape poetry as well. I have written mostly about love, and romance, but I also have a love of dragons so I have a lot of sci-fi fantasy themes as well when I write.

5. Do you write more than poetry? What else do you do creatively?

I have written blogs I have one personal blog, that I try to keep up with where I share my political views, poetry, and I also like to create my own graphics that I also have shared there.

6. What poem, written by you, do you like the most?

I guess I would have to say that “Mists of Avalon” is my all time favorite, that was a labor of love for a special couple as a gift for them on their wedding day. It meta morphed into what it now is from weeks and months of re-writes trying to get it perfect for their very special day. So I have to say that, that is the one I like the most and am most proud of.

7. Do you have any mentors?
My best friend and sister, Jan she’s the one when I’m down that keeps me going, when I am stumbling over a word, we can just be visiting and all of a sudden she’ll know exactly the word I was looking for. We’ve been friends now for over 20 years, she can finish my sentences, and I can finish hers, we almost always know what the other is thinking. We drive our families crazy with our chat fests .

8. Who is your favourite poet or writer

My favorite writer I have to say is Anne McCaffrey, and her “Dragonriders of Pern” series of stories. I just loved those!

9. What is your favourite poem by the poet you chosen?

Well, it’s a book not a poem but my favorite I think was “The Girl who heard Dragons”

10. What is your favourite type music?

My favorite music, hmmm. Anything but rap! I was brought up on Doo-Wop, Country, and the Beatles so love almost all types of music.

11.What inspires you?

What inspires me, just about anything can inspire me.. Stubbing my toe can inspire me, watching the sunshine, seeing my grand-daughter dressed up for Halloween, a picture I see.

12.Do you have a favourite book or author?

I commented about this earlier..

13.How about a favourite quote?

I guess my favorite of all time is “Old Age Is Not for the Faint of Heart”

14.Any other creative passions?

I used to like to draw, and paint, I also liked to knit and crochet, but since my hands became so painful and disfigured, that’s no longer a task I do. I do use my computer and image editing software to create my own graphics and mini-movies to share with friends and family.


Suzanne is one of my favourite poets currently on Allpoetry i suggest you guys check the website out you will find a link on our blog. I have learnt alot from just being friends with Suzanne , she is one of the nicest people i have come across.

Our upcoming interview will be off course myself being interviewed by the lovely Miss Suzanne. we also have another poet lined up for the third week on Poets In Training.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Members

Poets In Training

The newest resource on the internet for creative writers around the world, seeking to unify rather than divide by finding our similarities rather than our differences through prose. Join our group on All Poetry, follow us on twitter, join us on facebook