Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Article: Write a poem about something you believe in


I read this article on POEWAR web page.

I like how the writer puts his view on poetry:

He says, I believe in poetry. I love it. It makes me feel good to read it. I love the thought that there is something inside me that expresses itself in a much more primal way than the straightforward text of my ordinary prose. For me poetry is visceral. It comes from a different place inside of me. For me, poetry feels like a much more genuine expression of my thoughts and emotions than any other form of writing. By John Hewitt

My response:



If I look at different forms of poetry they tell a different story, whether its about pain, hurt, disease, illness it all varies, but what do we believe in, poetry can come across as different things as the reader reads poetry, they want to feel the emotion, the feeling, they want to vision it in front of them, like for instance playing out a play or scene in their minds. Whenever I read different poets poetry I envision myself watching it as it’s playing out in front of me. When I first started writing poetry it wasn’t just something I plan ahead of time, its raw emotions, whirling around my head. I love to read classical poets like Dante, Shakespeare, Robert Frost, to name a few.

Like for instance this poem.

Sonnet 116 by William Shakespeare (I chose this poem because its one of my favourites since grade 10.)

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:

O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wand'ring bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.

Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom:

If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

My Review

This poem as I understand it its definitely about true love, that type of love that cant ever change, not time nor space can separate this kind of love, love bends all this obstacles.
I bow down to Shakespeare for a man of his calibre; he stands as regards to LOVE.
Sonnet 116 – if you have ever TRULY been in love, you can relate to this poem. When the whole world tells you otherwise, if you experience true love, it will never change, nothing and nobody can change it. It can withstand all trails and tribulations. It can withstand a third party – that looks on tempests and is never shaken- it is a beacon that is worth more than anything on earth. That makes you giddy and silly, it never changes with time. It is constant, no matter how much time spent apart, its everlasting.
If I go more technical on my review from the sonnet 116:

"Let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments." sonnet 116 is a sonnet detailing the permanence of true love. The speaker, in quatrain one, details what the " marriage of true minds" is not- it does not alter, it does not allow itself to be removed. The second qautrain reveals true love further by telling us what it is- an ever fixed mark that is never shaken, or metaphorically, a star that serves as a permanent guide to wandering ships. Qautrain three then returns again to what love is and does not- true love is not "Time's fool," it does not succumb to time but stands stubbornly until "the edge of doom".

The speaker finally in the couplet at the end, declares his final position. He dares someone to prove him wrong, betting that if he or she is wrong that no one has ever really loved and he or she had never written at all- a useful contrary that gaurantees his version of "true love" will always be true.
I hope you all enjoy learning more on what poetry can mean and the understanding of poetry in different forms, whether it is from modern or from ages hence poets, it can still bring across the same meanings.

Like Shakespeare what do you believe in.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Members

Poets In Training

The newest resource on the internet for creative writers around the world, seeking to unify rather than divide by finding our similarities rather than our differences through prose. Join our group on All Poetry, follow us on twitter, join us on facebook